Call Us NOW!

Call 805.420.9135

call us now...

I will help you put together the ceremony you have dreamed about, helping you creatively plan the various components of your customized wedding ceremony, providing an order of service, and delivering a wedding ceremony that is a joyful, meaningful experience for you, your fiancée, your family and friends.

- Rev. John Huffman

Marriage License

There are 2 licenses that can be obtained in California; one is a Public License and issued by your local County Recorder/ Clerks office only. It requires one witness. It can be issued in any county and taken anywhere in California. It is the officiating party's responsibility to return it to the issuing county after the ceremony within 10 days. There is a fee involved This license becomes public record.

The other is the California License and Certificate of Confidential Marriage. It can be issued by the County Recorder/Clerk's office or by a Notary Public authorized by the Recorder/ Clerk in that county. The licensed must be used in the county of issue ONLY. The requirements are: Be over 18, be an unmarried man and an unmarried woman, and the couple must be living together as husband and wife. This license becomes confidential and is not public record. No witnesses required.

The needed identification for either of these licenses would be a valid driver's license/ or identification card issued by the DMV, a valid passport, or a valid military ID. These must have the correct name, photo, signature, and birth date. Birth certificates are not valid identification.

Some counties recommend bringing certified copies of your birth certificates. Know your parent’s names, mothers' maiden name and places of their birth. If previously married you must show proof of divorce, death or annulment. You would need to bring a copy of your final divorce decree if you have divorced within 90 days of securing the license though this can vary by county. Once issued, the marriage must be complete within 90 days. Cost varies, but it is generally $80. Contact your County Clerk’s office for specific information. Ministers must complete the marriage license and return it to the county clerk within 4 days after the marriage.

In cases where either the bride or groom is under 18, at least one of the minor's parents, or legal guardian, must appear with the couple. Certified copies of birth certificates are required. The couple must also schedule an appointment with a counselor and then appear before a superior court judge.


We have known John Huffman for many years and we could not have imagined anyone else officiating over our marriage ceremony. We love his genuineness, compassion, and humor. We knew if this day ever came for us, it would be John we would want to marry us.

The service he put together was made just for us and very personal. He paid special attention to ideas we had and offered great suggestions to go along with our desires. On every level it far exceeded our expectations and brought our family and friends into the experience with us.

Without exception every person in attendance commented that it was the most beautiful wedding service they had ever attended.

Thank you John for making our wedding day so memorable. We love you so much and appreciate your graciousness.

- Lisa & Tom McIntosh

John was such a wonderful part of our destination wedding. He built and personalized the ceremony around us and our wishes, and also incorporated moments and readings that were relevant and meaningful. His experience and insight helped us to build an event that ran smoothly and involved our friends, family and guests. We're still receiving compliments - one of our guests asked us later what it felt like to "start our marriage with an event that everyone who attended would never forget". Thank you, John, for making our wedding so beautiful and memorable for us all!

- Emily & Steve Buxbaum

Contact Info

Rev. John Huffman
Phone : 805.420.9135
Email :